Friday, February 16, 2018

The Beauty of Retrospect: Nancy Donahue Birthday Extravaganza!

Today's the day! Nancy Donahue marks three score years today. And to close out my celebration of her sixtieth birthday, I thought I'd show seven - yeah, that's right, seven - photos of our beloved birthday girl.  It's like seeing the fireworks on Independence Day, when they always set off the last ones all at once for a grand finish.    


As I noted here before, Nancy is a friend of mine (note the first-name basis), and I've always admired her for her versatility as a model.  She can go from a fresh-faced all-American look, as she bears in the winter-fashion photo above from 1985 . . .


. . . to the glamorous role of a long cool woman in black dress.

And while her glamour can be intimidating when she's photographed in haute couture as haute as coutre can be, as in this incredible jumpsuit in a picture taken by Rico Puhlmann . . .


. . . she can be just as soft and alluring, as she is in the pensive fashion photo below.


Because whatever image she projects, she's still Nancy to me . . . a wonderful, vivacious woman with a spirited personality and a joie de vivre all her own.  In the time I've known her, I've found her to be a warm, wonderful person who's a pleasure to be with.  And she's also a heck of a dancer. :-)

Her personality always comes through, in her smile . . .


. . . and in her poise.

I normally don't go into first person this much on this blog, and I normally don't make a huge deal of the fact that I know so many of the models I feature here, but this is a special occasion, being Nancy's birthday and all, and Nancy herself is special.  See, she was the first top model I ever met after I started connecting with top models on social media as a result of them discovering this blog.  I'd long followed her career, having first seen her in the early eighties, when she seemed appear on the cover of Self magazine every other month. :-) :-D

I first met her at Bergdorf Goodman in New York in December 2010 when she was promoting her BelleCore body buffer during the holiday season, not very long after connecting with her on Facebook.  She greeted me like I was already an old friend, and it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life . . . and by having me at some of her social functions, Nancy made it possible for me to have many more similarly enjoyable experiences.

Below is a picture of me with Nancy from that first meeting in Bergdorf Goodman, taken by her (and now our) friend Geoffrey Saunders.  This is the first time I've ever featured a photo of a woman that also includes myself, but don't expect me to make a habit of it.  This blog is definitely not about me. :-) 
   

Happy birthday, Nancy - love you! ♥

No comments: