Monday, February 12, 2018

The Beauty of Retrospect, February Model Edition: Happy Birthday, Nancy Donahue! (Part One)

Yes, the birthday girl I'm honoring in this retrospective this month is none other than Nancy Donahue, one of the biggest names in the modeling profession in the 1980s.  She was indeed the first top model I ever met in person, and she happens to be one of my dearest friends. :-)  She turns sixty years old this Friday (February 16), and a major milestone like that certainly deserves a big celebration.

And, yes, her date of birth is public knowledge, so I'm not giving anything away that she wouldn't want anyone to know.

I don't think I can ever do her career justice in the time I've given myself to pay tribute to her having reached three score years, but I'll certainly try. :-) 

When Nancy Donahue, whom I last featured here in April 2017, first began modeling in the late seventies, she probably had no idea she'd be at the top of her profession with such rapidity.  But by 1980, she already had covers of Mademoiselle, Self, Redbook and Vogue to her credit.  Not to mention work for Vogue Patterns, the prestigious fashion magazine's sister sewing publication. 


The look on her beautiful face in the photo above, from early 1980, shows just how determined she was to make it in modeling.   She appears ready to take on the world.  And even though she projects a softer look in the photo below, from a about the same time frame . . .


. . . it's obvious that Nancy Donahue is as fearless in pink as she is pretty. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog post Steven! Thank you so much.
Big hugs,
Nancy

Steve said...

Nancy: You're very, very welcome! :)